Shortly after the First World War, the Norfolk County Bowling Association, who then played the 21 up game, decided to lay down a new green on which to play important games and the County Cup. Many of the leading players were involved in the footwear industry and the monies were quickly found from a share issue.
In 1920 the green was laid down but was not used until 1921. In the autumn of 1921 it was decided to form a club so that the green would be used regularly and the Norfolk County Club came into existence. Later the name was changed to the Norfolk Bowling Club.
It was decided to play the EBA (English Bowling Association) game. As the Club was the only one playing the EBA game, we affiliated to Essex County so that we were recognised as an EBA Club and could enter Essex County competitions. The Club ceased to be affiliated to Essex when the Norfolk Association came into being in 1937. A second green was subsequently laid down.
In the late sixties the dream of owning our own Indoor stadium took shape. A Company was formed and debentures issued through the existing Outdoor membership. Building commenced early in 1968 on the site of the allotments already owned by the Outdoor Club.
Secretaries of the Norfolk Bowling Club since its incorporation in 1921 are:-
Centenary Match 30/07/2022
The Indoor Club opened on 16th December 1968. After some while and with an ever expanding membership the lounge was redeveloped in an open plan style. The original 6 rinks were increased to 7 rinks by dispensing with the side walkways, the enlarged surface being covered by Escabowl laid directly on concrete.
In 1994 after dramatic fluctuations in green speed throughout the day came the decision to install a laser levelled ‘Dales’ wooden floor covered by Greenguage carpet and fast underlay. Since then the Club has never looked back. Norfolk County Liberty matches are often staged here and the Area finals for National and County competitions are featured
In 1995 the Outdoor Club and Indoor Club merged to form a united Norfolk Bowling Club.
In the year 2000 further improvements to the lounge and changing rooms were made which enhanced the viewing facilities for spectators. In 2004 the Club introduced one annual fee, thus enabling all members to play both indoors and outdoors.
A new carpet and underlay was purchased in 2011, the previous carpet having been laid down in 1994. In 2013 a further refurbishment of the indoor club lounge and bar was undertaken. In 2015 the No 2 outdoor green was closed, due to lack of use.
The original founders of the Norfolk County Bowling Club were-
The first President was Sir Henry Holmes from 1921 until his death in 1939, when Lady Holmes accepted the office for one year. Later the Holmes' son Geoffrey Holmes took over but he had no real interest in bowls.